# I love finding out less-popular information about countries and cultures. Therefore, during #NaBloPoMo, I’ll research and post about a couple of them. Feel free to suggest me some countries/cultures you want to know more about or are worth spreading the word about. Promise to do my best and write about them 😉
Lovely Belgium is the starter of this series.
Food & Drinks
Among the first things we get to know about Belgium, are beers, chocolate and fries.
- there are around 800 different labels of beer produced here
- worldwide, there are 8 Trappist beers, 6 of them being in Belgium (one just across the border and one in Österreich). [For those into beers, here’s the list: Chimay, Orval, Rochefort, Westmalle, Westvleteren, Achel (Belgium) , La Trappe (The Netherlands) and Stift Engelszell (Austria)]
- There are ~220 000 tones of chocolate produced per year and, unexpectedly, the biggest selling point is Brussels National Airport!
People & Society
- Belgium has more comic makers than any other country in the world, even Japan!
- In 2007, Belgium was ranked as the best country in the world for children’s educational well-being [UNICEF report]
- There are 2 Manneken Pis in Belgium: the famous one in Brussels, and a similar one in Geraardsbergen
- The town of Spa is the one that gave the name ‘spa’ for a health resort. History says ancient Romans enjoyed the springs at Spa and this is how it all started.
- Almost 90% of raw diamonds in the world are negotiated, distributed, and polished in Antwerp, second largest city in the country
- Do you know Tintin? In 70 years of existence nearly 220 millions of copies of “Adventures of Tintin” have been sold.
- The name of the euro currency was proposed in 1992 by a Belgian, while the design by another Belgian, Alain Billiet.
Law & Government
- There are 3 official languages : Flemish, French and German
- Belgium has legalized gay marriage in 2003 and euthanasia in 2002
- Belgium is one of the few countries where education is compulsory until 18 years old
- One can legally possess up to 3 grams of cannabis
- Belgium comes first, after Canada, in granting the most new citizenships per capita
Do you know some others?
Would be happy to hear them 🙂