I’m still a beginner in terms of programming, but I do believe that coding is a very valuable skill that will make Europe and the world a better place. To support this cause, a couple of weeks ago, I’ve taken responsibility to be Code Week Ambassador for Romania.
Starting to elaborate on a strategy, one of my first questions was:
“Have people heard about Code Week? Is its goal clear and also how to get involved?” Let’s see in the following lines what is all about.
What is Code Week?
Code Week is an initiative started by Neelie Kroes’ advisors (yes, that cool lady who managed to get roaming prices down ;)) Its purpose is to promote coding and to encourage the organization of tech oriented events between 11 and 17th October.
Why Code Week?
Because it’s never been easier to create your own apps and devices. You can use open source software or proprietary software, whatever fits you best. By organizing events and teaching others, you’re improving your community / city / country and spreading the word about tech.
Who is involved?
The initiative is run in all EU member states, Norway, and Turkey. You can see all the countries listed here, together with their ambassadors.
How can I get involved?
I could write an endless list, but here are 8 ways you can help:
- organize (or help with organizing) an event in your city – may be it Rails Girls, Coder Dojo or a workshop at your initiative
- become an ambassador for your country and get involved in spreading the word and connecting people
- ask your company to organize an open day for people who want to see how is like to work in IT
- go to highschools and do a demo of your work and answer students’ questions
- organize meetups and strengthen your community interested in the same programming language (a good starting point is meetup.com)
- if geeking is not your thing, you managed to get to this point and you have a friend who’d love to help, share him/her this post or Code Week’s website 🙂
- if you’re a company and want to sponsor events, get in touch with ambassadors in your country
- encourage event organizers to add their event on the website to make the map as complete as possible 😉
Should you have any questions or doubts if your idea would fit in this concept, please let me know. I’ll be glad to help.
Thank you for spreading the word! 😉
Last update: 26/08/2014